: Our professional team of volcanologists and photographers offers unique travel opportunities: volcano expeditions, photo tours, and relaxed walking & study tours.
Maintaining the volcano and earthquake news sections on this website, the free Volcano Webcams tool
and interactive map widget
is a free-time, both time- and server cost intensive effort.
If you find the information useful and would like to support us, and help keep it alive and improve it, please consider making a small donation
. Thank you!
Latest volcano news:
Monday, Aug 31, 2015
Manam (Papua New Guinea)
: A volcanic ash plume at estimated 7,000 ft (2.1 km) altitude extending 70 km north from the volcano was reported this morning (VAAC Darwin). ...
A phase of ash emissions occurred early today at the volcano. A strong pulse of volcanic tremor started at 03:21 local time. ...
One of the remotest active volcanoes is in eruption again. In a satellite image from 26 August 2015 obtained from the NASA's Earth Explorer program, the east flank of Mount Michael volcano can be seen stained grey which strongly indicates that an eruption took place.
Explosions continue to occur from time to time at the volcano. During an overflight on 25 August, researchers from the University of Colima found that as a result of the explosions, the crater had been deepened by 20 meters during the past 2 weeks and is now approx. 60 m deep and 270 m wide, similar to what it was after the large eruption in 1913. ...
Activity at the volcano remains high while seismic activity has been showing a decreasing trend today and been described as moderate by the Geophysical Institute. ...
A volcanic ash plume at estimated 7,000 ft (2.1 km) altitude extending 70 km north from the volcano was reported this morning (VAAC Darwin).
The eruption continues at the volcano: it is characterized by Strombolian activity at the summit crater and lava extrusion that forms frequent incandescent avalanches. ...
Continuous ash emissions are being observed from the volcano, generating plumes at 2-3 km altitude that drift up to 70-80 km to the east (Darwin VAAC).
No significant changes have occurred at the ongoing eruptino on both the summit vent (Halema'uma'u lava lake) and the east rift zone. During the past days, lava flows have resurfaced most of the interior of what is left of Pu'u 'O'o crater. ...
What's erupting? List & map of currently active volcanoes
Europe and Atlantic Ocean:
Africa and Indian Ocean:
- Sinabung (Sumatra, Indonesia)
- Karangetang (Siau Island, Sangihe Islands, Indonesia)
- Dukono (Halmahera, Indonesia)
- Ibu (Halmahera, Indonesia)
- Soputan (North Sulawesi, Indonesia)
- Semeru (East Java, Indonesia)
- Batu Tara (Sunda Islands, Indonesia)
- Lokon-Empung (North Sulawesi, Indonesia)
- Gamalama (Halmahera, Indonesia)
- Sirung (Pantar Island, Indonesia )
- Sangeang Api (Indonesia)
- Raung (East Java, Indonesia)
- Merapi (Central Java, Indonesia)
- Papandayan (West Java, Indonesia)
- Krakatau (Sunda Strait, Indonesia)
- Slamet (Central Java, Indonesia)
- Kerinci (Sumatra, Indonesia)
- Ruang (North Sulawesi & Sangihe Islands, Indonesia)
- Gamkonora (Halmahera, Indonesia)
- Ebulobo (Flores, Indonesia)
- Lewotobi (Flores, Indonesia)
- Rinjani (Lombok, Indonesia)
- Paluweh (off Flores Island, Indonesia)
- Tambora (Sumbawa, Indonesia)
- Bromo (East Java, Indonesia)
- Tangkubanparahu (West Java, Indonesia)
- Dempo (Sumatra, Indonesia)
- Marapi (Western Sumatra, Indonesia)
Aleutians, Alaska and North America:
Central America and Carribean:
- Erebus (Antarctica)
- Michael (United Kingdom, South Sandwich Is)
- Siple (Marie Byrd Land, Western Antarctica)
- Zavodovski (South Sandwich Islands (UK))
- Kilauea (Hawai'i)
- Bagana (Bougainville Island, Papua New Guinea)
- Rabaul (Tavurvur) (New Britain, Papua New Guinea)
- Manam (Papua New Guinea)
- Yasur (Tanna Island, Vanuatu)
- Ambrym (Vanuatu)
- Kavachi (Solomon Islands)
- Ulawun (New Britain, Papua New Guinea)
- Lopevi (Vanuatu)
- Ahyi (United States, Mariana Islands)
- Loihi (United States, Hawaiian Islands)
- Pagan (Mariana Islands)
- Langila (New Britain, Papua New Guinea)
- Karkar (Northeast of New Guinea, Papua New Guinea)
- Ruapehu (North Island, New Zealand)
- Tongariro (North Island, New Zealand)
- White Island (New Zealand)
- Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai (Tonga, Tonga Islands)
- Aoba (Vanuatu)
- Gaua (Vanuatu)
- Tinakula (Santa Cruz Islands, Solomon Islands)
Ring of Fire (Kurile Islands to Philippines):
- Shiveluch (Kamchatka)
- Kliuchevskoi (Kamchatka)
- Karymsky (Kamchatka)
- Aso (Kyushu, Japan)
- Sakurajima (Kyushu, Japan)
- Suwanose-jima (Ryukyu Islands, Japan)
- Nishino-shima (Volcano Islands, Japan)
- Bezymianny (Central Kamchatka Depression, Kamchatka)
- Zhupanovsky (Kamchatka, Russia)
- Chirinkotan (Northern Kuriles, Kuril Islands)
- Rasshua (Central Kuriles, Kuril Islands)
- Asama (Honshu, Japan)
- Ontake-san (Honshu, Japan)
- Kuchinoerabu-jima (Ryukyu Islands, Japan)
- Mayon (Luzon Island, Philippines)
- Bulusan (Luzon Island, Philippines)
- Kizimen (Kamchatka)
- Gorely (Southern Kamchatka)
- Chikurachki (Paramushir Island, Kuril Islands)
- Sinarka (Shiashkotan Island , Kuril Islands)
- Ketoi (Kurile Islands, Russia)
- Chirpoi (Kurile Islands, Russia)
- Medvezhia (Kurile Islands, Russia)
- Grozny (Iturup Island, Kuril Islands)
- Tokachi (Hokkaido, Japan)
- Akan (Hokkaido, Japan)
- Azuma (Honshu, Japan)
- Kusatsu-Shirane (Honshu, Japan)
- Mt Fuji (Honshu, Japan)
- Hakone (Honshu, Japan)
- To-shima (Izu Islands, Japan)
- Miyake-shima (Izu Islands, Japan)
- Kirishima (Kyushu, Japan)
- Kikai (Ryukyu Islands, Japan)
- Iwo-Tori-shima (Ryukyu Islands, Japan)
- Iwo-jima (Volcano Islands, Japan)
- Daikoku (Volcano Islands, Japan)
- Taal (Luzon, Philippines)
=major eruption =erupting =minor activity / eruption warning =unrest
More on Volcano-News:
Volcanic crisis at Sakurajima - updates
: A strong earthquake swarm and increased inflation were detected in August 2015 and triggered authorities to raise the alert level, as volcanologists think that a larger eruption could follow. News and updates on the events can be found on this page.
Active volcanoes in China
: Did you know that there are at least 15 active volcanoes in China? The last eruption was from the Kunlun volcano in 1951.
Kelut volcano's lava dome in 2007
: One of the most impressive lava dome eruptions in recent years. A new dome formed in the crater lake of Kelut volcano (East Java) in late 2007. Enjoy some unique pictures.
Definition of a volcano
: A volcano is the term for any place on the surface of the earth, where hot molten rock (magma) reaches the surface.